Morrill County attractions are well-worth the visit
as a destination, or as you're passing through!
During the middle 19th century, Chimney Rock served as a landmark along the Oregon Trail, the California Trail, and the Mormon Trail, which ran along the north side of the rock. It is visible for many miles from the east along U.S. Route 26. The first recorded mention of 'Chimney Rock' was in 1827 by Joshua Pilcher. Pilcher had journeyed up the Platte River valley to the Salt Lake rendezvous of the Rocky Mountain fur trappers. The Morrill County Visitors Center is packed full of facts and history. It's worth the stop!
Also known as Seybolt Park, Courthouse and Jail Rocks are two of the most famous landmarks of westward migration. Nearby passed the Oregon-California Trail, the Mormon Trail, the Pony Express Trail and the Sidney-Deadwood Trail. The rocks were vanguards of unforgettable scenic wonders that travelers would encounter farther west, including Chimney Rock's curious spire and the rugged heights of Scott's Bluff. If you're looking for a little excercise, it's a good hike in fabulous scenery.
Pioneer Trails Museum is packed full of historical artifacts, journals and local items from the 1800's - 1900's enhanced by beautiful illistrations. Sketches and drawings can be purchased here and a FREE coloring book is also available for the kids. Open Daily Memorial Day to Labor Day
Bayard Depot Museum features pioneer machinery, tools, quilts, schoolroom, kitchen and bedroom memorabilia. Open Daily Memorial Day to Labor Day 12:30-4pm. Groups by appt. Free. 308-586-1496
include "http://www.halemultimedia.com/footer_new.php"; ?>
In the middle of everywhere!
In 1860, the Pony Express established a line along the Jules cutoff and created a station at Mud Springs. In 1861, shortly before the Pony Express operations ended, a transcontinental telegraph station was positioned at Mud Springs, along with a daily stage coach service. A stone marker and sign post have been erected at the site to commemorate the station. The native-stone monument at the site has a bronze Pony Express symbol and plaque.
Found in the line of bluffs called Cobbie Hills 30 miles west of Ash Hollow, Frog's Head Bluff was named by Mormon emigrants traveling west along the north side of the North Platte River.
Bridgeport State Recreation Area, located in Morrill Co., has four sandpit lakes totaling 78 acres. The area offers powerboating, picnicking, hiking and fishing. The 52-acre lake commonly known as Center Lake is open to motorboat traffic. The remaining four smaller lakes are restricted to non- powered vessels and those powered with conventional electric outboard motors only.
Chimney Rock Golf Club sits on farmland surrounded by tall conifers, elms and cottonwoods. The layout features modern design with open contoured fairways and built-up greens edged by grassy mounds.
Lying in the shadows of Court House and Jail Rock, Courthouse and Jail Rock Golf Course's ridge top tee overlooks a bubbling creek through a tree framed opening to the fairway below. The fairways and greens are in excellent condition despite the dry environment. The rough has been left unseeded and natural. It consists of small dry patches of weeds, prairie grass, and wild flowers. The course has added a new clubhouse and cement cart paths in recent years.
Horsemanship History - Located 4 miles north from Bridgeport is the new multicultural education center called Horsemanship History. Using interactive techniques Bern Miller makes history come alive. With the help of his horses Bern shows us the role of horses throughout history. A perfect experience for tour groups, 4H groups and school classes of any age group. Call ahead for a presentation. 308 262 0181.
DAR Markers - In 1911, Ezra Meeker crossed the Old Oregon Trail, promoting and marking the trail. He encouraged communities and states to erect markers. The Daughters of the American Revolution got involved as well. They are commonly called “DAR Markers” even though other groups and comunities were involved. I have heard some people call them Meeker Markers. A few were placed by Ezra himself but not here. Generally, they were placed where the trail crossed a modern (1912) road.
There are four in Morrill County.
Marker 52 is about 6 tenths of a mile south of the railroad tracks on the road to Courthouse and Jail Rocks (Hwy 88). It is on the west side of the road.
Marker 53 is at the entrance of the Bridgeport Cemetery.
Marker 51 is at the actual site of the Amanda Lamin grave. It is on private property and there is no public access.
Marker 54 was where the Sidney-Deadwood Trail crossed the old highway. It is on private property and there is no public access.